Rural Italy is full of establishements known as agriturismi, which are essentially farm stays or farm houses open to the public for a variety of activities.
Normally these include holidays, farm visits in which you get to watch and even participate in production on the farm, and meals and parties in which you sample the delicious local produce. These are also excellent places for a gourmet wedding!
The atmosphere is generally warm and rustic, and these farmhouses are perfect for intimate wedding receptions. The food is always excellent, fresh and locally produced, and if you want the entertainment can include farm activities such as wine making and feeding the lambs, or things such as wine tasting and cooking classes.
You might also have a slightly more traditional wedding with a sit dowm meal, excellent food and local entertainment. You may even decide to combine the two ideas! It is entirely up to you.
Advantages of a farmhouse wedding include...
- Guaranteed excellent food! Most, if not all of the food served will be from the farm you are staying on, and all the rest will be fresh from the local area.
- You can arrange original, farm or food based activities for your guests, which will make this a wedding to remember!
This is also great for weddings where there are young children present, as they are less likely to get bored.
- Perfect for a more casual, intimate wedding, agriturismi tend to be less grand and formal than other venues.
- A combination of indoor and outdoor spaces allows for flexibility in case of uncertain weather.
- You can have a large party. Space is likely to be unlimited, especially in the outdoor areas.
- You can party until dawn. Unlike hotels, most agriturismi will allow parties until late at night as they are not concerned about disturbing other guests and the local residents.
A farmhouse wedding might not be for you if...
- You want a traditional reception with all of the trimmings. The wedding is likely to feel out of place, and many of the activities available are not wedding dress friendly, so you and your guests may have to bring a change of clothes.
- You want to be able to dictate your menu. You are limited by what is available on the farm and in the local area, so some ingredients may be hard to get hold of.
We have a wonderful selection of farmhouses to choose from, for your wedding, your honeymoon, or even just for a holiday, all in some of the most beautiful locations in Italy - take your pick!
If you aren't sure about what kind of location you want for your wedding, take a look at our other wedding types or at our advice on location choice.