16 November 2009
Posted in PLAN YOUR WEDDING
If you are planning on getting married in Italy then you will be thinking about the best way to go about planning the big day. Getting married abroad means a few changes to the classical wedding planning checklist, so we have pulled one together that is specifically geared towards making organising your wedding in Italy easier.
The wedding Timeline
12 MONTHS OR MORE
- Put together a "wedding folder" for all your contacts, pictures, things that inspire you etc.
- Decide what wedding style you want.
- Investigate all of the legal requirements pertinent to your citizenship and make sure you have all documentation required
- Work out your budget, including air fares, accommodation and other fees.
- Decide whether you are going to pay in part for your guests or if it will be up to them. Talk to those you want to invite to see how interested they are.
- Make sure your passports are up to date!
- Start investigating possible hotels and venues, and create a shortlist.
- Once you have a shortlist you might want to come out to view the location before booking.
- Take out the appropriate insurance.
- Think about what you are going to do for your honeymoon - are you going to stay in Italy?
- If you are using one, choose and speak to a wedding consultant.
- Start thinking about wedding dresses.
- If you want a religious wedding then look into the availability of officials and religious grounds.
- If you haven't already booked a location, do so! It would also be advisable to book your honeymoon.
- Start talking to or booking other vendors such as florists, photographers, caterers etc. Alternatively, you could go for a wedding package which can be personalised to suit you.
- Finalise your colour scheme and style with your consultant and/or location and vendors.
- Choose and buy wedding rings.
- Select your wedding attendants and discuss with each of them what their duties are. Make sure they can all make it out for the big day!
- Decide on a wedding dress and start going for fittings.
- Look into choosing bridesmaids dresses - but be sure to consult them first!
- Send out invitations. This should be done earlier than usual to ease travel arrangements.
- Be prepared to help guests organise accommodation and flights.
- Set up your gift registry if you have one.
- Finalise your attendants outfits.
- Work out what you want to do yourself, and what you want from the wedding planner and/or location.
- Start a routine to get your skin, hair and nails looking as good as possible
- Finalise your wedding vows.
- Liaise with service providers in Italy to ensure you get what you want. Remember to think about:
- The cake
- The catering
- The decor
- Hair and Makeup
- The photographer
- The event schedule
- Arrange for the names on credit cards, bank accounts etc to change.
- Get the best man and the bridesmaids to organise the stag and hen nights.
- Visit the dressmaker to ensure you have time for any last minute alterations.
- Buy your wedding lingerie.
- Enjoy your stag and hen parties!
- Assign seating
- Get your hair cut and coloured
- Check in with the photographer to make sure he knows what moments cannot be missed.
- Break in your shoes - you want them to be comfortable!
- Pick up your wedding dress.
Don't forget that last tip, as it is probably the most important one on the list. This is the start of your life as a married couple, so it is important that you make the time to relax and enjoy the experience and each other's company.
Remember, our network of contacts is vast so you will be able to find someone to help you with all possible requests.
If you would like an electronic checklist to help you to organise your wedding, then register or log in to Dream Wedding and you can use the one in the personal area as well as having access to the forums, blogs and exclusive Dream Wedding promotions.